About Me

Hello. I am not a runner, or someone who exercises, and am not sporty at all. But one day, in the pub, I decided to run a half marathon with my friend Kirsty. We entered ourselves into the Royal Parks Half in October, and started to run. This blog records my trials and tribulations as I try to build up from never running anywhere to running 13 miles.

Sunday 11 July 2010

Back on a plan

Running became really hard for me. The uncommonly hot summer and the less frequent training made every step a long one. I have cursed London's humidity to everyone who will listen; why can't it be a rubbish summer like last year??

13 miles started to look like a hell of a long way again. We had been talking about getting on a proper training plan but failed to find one that appealed. I don't want to be required to run more than 3 times per week as there are other things in my life. I decided to bite the bullet, get the Royal Parks' beginner training plan, and put it into Excel so that we could adapt as necessary. It's a good plan I think, a 'steady run', interval or hill run, 'tempo run' (slightly faster than is comfortable) and then a long run at the end of each week. Distance and intensity increases each week. We will alternate between interval and tempo each week to give three runs. I also want to do some other sort of exercise on some of the off days; but it seems unlikely that I'll do much of that.

The interval run was, of course, horrible. I struggle to get my breath back after one minute of brisk running, and I have to walk instead of 'jog' in between brisks. Another point of frustration as I know that Kirsty doesn't need to walk. It was also the hottest day of the year so far and simply entirely unpleasant.

Today we met at Regent's Park for a change of scenery. We tried to get there early to avoid the heat, but earliness rarely happens on a Sunday. By the time we got our act together it was 10.45 and baking. It was less humid, though, and we did a thoroughly heart-warming 45 minutes, mainly hiding under the shade of trees. It wasn't easy and I didn't feel quite in control of the breathing, but we did it! It feels like we have started to get back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment